In honor of the 110th anniversary of the Bronx Zoo earlier this month, the New York Daily News has compiled a list of 110 things to know about the Bronx Zoo. Here is a sneak peek at the list:
1. The Bronx Zoo opened to visitors on November 8th, 1899.
2. On opening day, the zoo featured 843 animals in 22 exhibits.
6. More than 236 million guests have visited the zoo since its opening.
7. With 265 acres, the Bronx Zoo is the largest metropolitan zoo in the United States.
13. Approximately 2.15 million guests visit the Bronx Zoo each year.
14. The Bronx Zoo is run by the Wildlife Conservation Society, which protects more than 200 million acres of wild land in 65 countries.
16. The zoo is home to more than 6,000 animals representing more than 600 species.
See the full list here.